Yal Awards FAQ
Frequently asked questions about the Young African Leaders Awards
What are the Young African Leaders Awards?
The Young African Leaders Awards (YALA) celebrate and honor exceptional young leaders for their community commitment, and leadership role to make their nation and the world a better place.
The Young African Leaders Awards are committed to celebrating the long-standing efforts and achievements of youth and youth groups throughout the world.
How can a young person be nominated for the Young African Leaders Awards?
Do you know an emerging young leader between the ages of 18 and 35 who is doing remarkable things for their community, a young person working towards making Africa and the world at large a better place for the lives of so many ? If so, regardless of whether you are a proud parent, an enthused youth – you name it – if you want to nominate someone, you can. The awards are open to young people in every country in the world.
Keys to a Good Nomination
- Start early
- Research the criteria and the candidate
- Write a well documented argument
- Complete the nomination form
The award is designed for young leaders who:
- All categories of the Young African Leaders Awards are open to young people between the ages of 18-35 years of age who have demonstrated good leadership skill in the course of embarking on sustainable projects.
- Have demonstrated leadership in their efforts to work on behalf of youth initiatives.
- Must have meaningfully impacted youths in their communities.
- • Must have demonstrated strong ability in proposing innovative solutions to challenging issues of sustainable development, such as poverty, quality education, water distribution, climate change, good health and well-being, peace and security, etc
Who is not eligible?
- You cannot nominate yourself
- African Youth Architects Board of Directors
- Award Committee Members
- Age above 35 years
- 2019 Young African Leaders Awards Winners
After being nominated
Nominees will be notified that they have been nominated for this award through email. They are required to confirm their acceptance by submitting acceptance letter through email along with the following items:
- Proofs of organization membership, (membership Photo ID, or Card)
- Submission of information about the organization (Website, Email address, phone number)
- Submission of an evident based project
- Proofs of participation in community activities (Photos, Videos, links to Medias)
All information should be sent to [email protected]
Please note: All information shared are kept confidential.
Why take the time?
- YALAWARDS are Very competitive!
- An effective nomination is key to presenting the accomplishments of your candidate to the award committee.
- Award committee may not know your candidate
Why is writing important?
- Award committee rely on concise, complete nominations.
- Well written nominations highlight the accomplishments of your candidate.
- Effective communication from you gives your candidate a good chance.
How would I know if I’ve qualified in the Top 30?
If you have shortlisted into Top 30 finalists, you will receive an email from us notifying you. However, if you do not receive an email, it unfortunately means you have not made through to the Top 30 finalists.
What is the selection process for the Top 30 / 20 finalists?
Once applications are submitted, they will be scored and read by a panel online judges who will select the Top 30 finalists. The panel of judges will select the Top 20 finalists. Then the Young African Leaders Awards panel will select the 10 winners through a secure voting system, submission of an evidence based projects, and an interview. Please note, nominees will only be judged based on the information requested on their nomination forms. No materials posted or emailed separately to us will be looked at during the judging process.
When were the 2019 Young African Leaders Awards? When are the next Young African Leaders Awards?
The 2019 Young African Leaders Awards took place on September 29, 2019 in The Gambia, West Africa.
The 2020 Young African Leaders Awards celebration will be held on September 26, 2020 in Morocco, North Africa.
How can I learn more about the Young African Leaders Award winners?
To meet the 2019 YALAWARDS Winners, please click here the next round of YALAWARDS winners will be announced in September 26, 2020.
How were the award categories determined?
Our twelve award categories were created to recognize and honor the continued need for inspired leadership and positive role young people played in advancing the worlds development through youth’s participation.
- Nelson Mandela’s Humanitarian Award
- Young Women of Innovation and
- Leadership Award
- Visionary Leadership Award
- First-Generation Entrepreneur
- Model African Diaspora Award
- Universal Peace Award
- Healthy Africa Award
- Education star Award
- Art and Culture Award
- Global Environment Awards
- Award of excellence
- Icon Award
How can I stay up to date on the Young African Leaders Awards?
- Follow the Young African Leaders Awards on Facebook and Instagram.
- Follow African Youth Architects on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Check back on the website for updates on the timeline for the 2020 Young African Leaders Awards
Who organizes the Young African Leaders Awards?
The YALAWARDS is produced by members and executives at the African Youth Architects, who work to capture youth energy at every stage of the event’s planning. The YALAWARDS truly are for youth, by youth.
The executives of the African Youth Architects are involved in nearly every aspect of planning for the YALAWARDS. Their contributions include providing feedback on creative decisions, pitching ideas for activities at the event, and collaborating on what types of awards should be handed out.
If you’re interested in learning more about the Young African Leaders Award, please contact Emamsy Mbossa at [email protected]
For any further questions, comments, or concerns, please email [email protected]
Can't find answer? Don’t worry, our team will help you
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.